Berhampur: In a major development in the brutal attack on a young couple in Berhampur, another accused surrendered before the police on Thursday, hours after three persons were arrested in connection with the sensational incident.
Police sources said the accused, identified as Ashish Sahu, surrendered at Berhampur Town Police Station after his elder brother was apprehended by the cops.
Ashish Sahu is reported to be the younger brother of the prime accused, Mukesh Sahu, in the attack that took place near Giri Road in Berhampur on Monday night.
Police had earlier arrested two accused in connection with the case on Wednesday.
During investigation, a police team had taken one of the accused along to identify and trace other associates involved in the crime. However, the accused allegedly attempted to snatch the firearm of an Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI). In response, police reportedly opened fire in self-defence. During the incident, the accused sustained bullet injuries to his hand and knee.
Several other accused are still stated to be absconding. Police have intensified efforts to trace and apprehend them at the earliest.
Meanwhile, Inspector General of Police (Southern Range) Niti Shekhar asserted that the remaining accused named in the FIR in the sensa
tional case would be nabbed soon.
Police would ensure that strict action is taken against all those involved in the attack on a youth and his female companion, he said.
Sharing details about progress in investigation in the case, he said police had already arrested Raj Malhotra and Lingaraj Samal and subsequently apprehended the main accused, Mukesh Sahu after an encounter.
Noting that the incident that took place on Monday night caused concern among people, he said police are taking the matter seriously and investigating it thoroughly. Efforts are continuing to apprehend the remaining accused.
“The rest of the persons named in the FIR will be arrested soon. Such incidents will not be tolerated and strict action will be taken against everyone involved in such crimes,” he said.
The assault took place on the night of May 18 on Giri Road in Berhampur. According to police, Umesh Rath was travelling on a scooter with his female friend when they were intercepted by a group of attackers.
The assailants allegedly dragged Rath onto the road and assaulted him with sticks in public view. He sustained critical injuries and is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital in Visakhapatnam.
Videos of the assault later went viral on social media, prompting widespread public concern and leading police to launch a special operation to identify and arrest those involved. Investigation into the case is continuing.
The arrests have been made on the basis of the complaint filed by Umesh’s mother Amulya Kumari Rath (47), alleging that her son and would-be daughter-in-law were attacked by five persons near Giri Road at around 8.30 pm on May 18 over previous enmity.
