Washington: Beijing is stalling a proposed visit by Elbridge Colby, the Pentagon’s under-secretary of defense for policy, as China presses President Donald Trump to decide on a $14 billion weapons package for Taiwan, the Financial Times reported on Thursday.
Colby had talked with Chinese officials about visiting Beijing this summer, but China has made clear it cannot approve the trip until Trump determines how he will handle the arms sale, the report said, citing people familiar with the discussions. Reuters could not immediately verify the Financial Times account. Neither the Pentagon nor China’s foreign ministry responded right away to comment requests outside business hours.
Trump Delays Taiwan Arms Decision
Following hi
s Beijing trip last week, Trump said he has not decided whether to move forward with the major weapons sale, heightening uncertainty over US backing for the democratically governed island. On Wednesday, Trump told reporters he would speak with Taiwan’s President Lai Ching-te — an unprecedented move for a US leader that could destabilize US-China relations. A call between the two leaders had not yet been scheduled, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters.
US Law Mandates Taiwan Defence Aid
Any direct US-Taiwan conversation would normally anger China, which regards the island as its own territory. US administration officials point out that Trump has approved more weapons sales to Taiwan than any other US president, though Trump has also repeatedly described his relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping as “amazing”.
Under US law, Washington must provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself, and Republican and Democratic lawmakers have urged the Trump administration to continue weapons sales. Taiwan Defence Minister Wellington Koo said on Tuesday he was “cautiously optimistic” about arms sales from the US.
