CM Mohan Majhi Announces Rs 1K Crore Relief Package As Flood Hits 9.4 Lakh Across 6 Odisha Districts

CM Mohan Majhi Announces Rs 1K Crore Relief Package As Flood Hits 9.4 Lakh Across 6 Odisha Districts


Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi on Tuesday announced Rs 1,000 crore package for flood-hit areas in Odisha, a day after reviewing the flood situation and the extent of damage in the affected districts.

The package is primarily aimed at supporting farmers, livestock owners, fishermen and artisans who have suffered losses, with the government signalling that additional funds could be released if needed.

Small and marginal farmers whose crops have suffered 33 per cent or more damage will receive compensation of Rs 8,500 per hectare for non-irrigated land, Rs 17,000 per hectare for irrigated land and Rs 22,500 per hectare for all-season or perennial produce. Affected farmers will also get financial help to buy paddy and non-paddy seeds, along with free vegetable mini-kits to restart cultivation. Those facing pest damage after the floods will be eligible for a 75 per cent subsidy, while damaged lift irrigation systems are to be repaired on a priority, war-footing basis. Short-term Kharif loans can be converted into medium-term agricultural loans for willing farmers. Compensation will also cover livestock losses as well as damage to ponds, boats and fishing nets. Artisans whose livelihoods have been hit will receive Rs 5,000 each.

The flood situation remains critical across six districts — Jajpur, Bhadrak, Baleshwar, Kendujhar, Mayurbhanj and Kendrapada , affecting roughly 9.4 lakh people of 1,381 villages in 74 blocks. Jajpur ranks among the worst-hit, with 270 villages across 10 blocks and about 2.8 lakh people affected, while Bhadrak has seen approximately 2.59 lakh people impacted across 149 villages.

“Yesterday, I travelled by road to assess the flood situation in Jajpur and Bhadrak districts… In Jajpur district, a total of 10 blocks, 270 villages, and one urban area have been affected. Our department evacuated over 200,000 people, and a total of 77,680 individuals were moved to safe locations; 291 relief camps have been set up there. Additionally, four blocks in Bhadrak district, comprising 134 villages and one urban area, have been affected, with 196,240 people facing either total or partial impact from the floods… Beyond these two districts, four others, Baleshwar, Mayurbhanj, Kendujhar, and Kendrapada, have also been affected, bringing the total number of affected districts to six… Baleswar and Bhadrak have faced the impact multiple times. To handle rescue operations, we have fully deployed 39 NDRF teams and 51 Fire Service units. We have also provided financial assistance amounting to Rs 136 crore in 2-3 instalments. While the situation remains serious, based on ground assessments and the reports received, we are taking steps to provide some relaxations regarding the restrictions…,” the CM informed.

Majhi said that the government’s priority is to ensure zero casualties through proactive measures. Although more than 100 snakebites were reported amid the flood, administrative readiness has ensured no deaths so far, he said.

On Monday, the Chief Minister ccompanied by Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Suresh Pujari travelled by boat and waded through waterlogged stretches in parts of Jajpur and Bhadrak to meet affected residents directly. He interacted with villagers, assessed the impact and assured financial assistance once damage assessments are completed. He directed district administrations to ensure cooked food is provided at relief shelters, urged residents to exercise caution near riverbanks and advised immediate medical consultation or anti-snake venom treatment in case of bites.




Exit mobile version