Devendra Mahto Calls Off 16-Day Hunger Strike As Jharkhand Govt Cancels TDPL Exams

 Devendra Mahto Calls Off 16-Day Hunger Strike As Jharkhand Govt Cancels TDPL Exams


Mahto Calls Off 16-Day Hunger Strike As Jharkhand Cancels TDPL Exams

Ranchi: Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto on Monday called off his 16-day hunger strike after the Jharkhand government cancelled the JSSC-CGL examination and every recruitment test outsourced to private agency TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL).

The decision came after a state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren. Mahto ended his fast at Sadar Hospital in the presence of ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari. Along with cancelling the exams, the government directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to investigate alleged irregularities in all recruitment examinations conducted in Jharkhand since 2014.

After breaking his fast, Mahto thanked Soren, Congress MP Rahul Gandhi, the two ministers, fellow students and the media for backing the agitation.

“Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue,” Mahto said.

He demanded tighter laws and end-to-end reforms to stop paper leaks and exam malpractice.

“Every examination must be monitored, every examination must be audited, and there must be a clear certificate for every examination and at every stage. We will continue to struggle for this,” he said.

Mahto described the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL as a major step, even though the process had advanced to the joining stage and several candidates had already taken up government posts, as reported by Hindustan Times.

He also welcomed the CID probe, noting that it had reached senior officials and former office-bearers.

“Today marks the 16th day of the hunger strike. This struggle began on July 2. Following a meeting with the Chief Minister on July 20, a CID inquiry was initiated on July 28. The investigation is being conducted thoroughly, sparing no one,” Mahto said.

Soren Cancels TDPL Exams, Expands Probe Since 2014

Announcing the cabinet’s decisions, Soren cited “startling revelations” in ongoing SIT and CID probes.

“There have been some startling revelations in the ongoing CID and SIT probes. After much deliberation in the cabinet, it has been decided to cancel the JSSC CGL. All other exams conducted by TDPL will also be cancelled,” Soren said.

He added that the CID would examine irregularities in all recruitment examinations held in the state since 2014.

The government also set up an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend systemic changes.

TDPL has conducted several key tests in Jharkhand, including the 14th JPSC civil services preliminary and two backlog civil services exams.

The JSSC-CGL was held in 2024, with around 1,800 successful candidates already appointed to various state departments.

The controversy sharpened after the CID registered a case on July 22 over alleged irregularities in the 14th JPSC preliminary exam, leading to 21 arrests so far, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte, TDPL directors/executives and alleged middlemen.

The probe later indicated a TDPL-linked network may have been involved in the JSSC-CGL as well.

Protesters Press For CBI; Three End Fast

Job aspirants began their sit-in at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium after the allegations surfaced, with the agitation running for more than three weeks and several students joining hunger strikes.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has maintained that protests would continue until the government agreed to a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.

While the government has ordered a wider CID investigation, protesters have sought further assurances on an independent probe and examination reforms.

Rahul Gandhi, in an August 14 letter made public on Monday, urged Soren to meet the students directly and resolve the issue.

“The youth of India is its future. We owe them our solidarity and support at this moment of crisis. Please do your utmost to hear them out and take appropriate action towards the resolution of this issue,” Gandhi wrote.

Minister Irfan Ansari said Mahto, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti voluntarily ended their hunger strike after major demands were accepted.

“We have arrived; a full medical check-up has been conducted, and they are being discharged. All three are healthy; there are no issues. Their blood pressure and blood sugar levels are normal,” Ansari said.

Student protester Rajesh Prasad said the 23-day agitation had reached a successful conclusion.

“The struggle we waged over the past 23 days has now reached a successful conclusion. The Chief Minister has proven today that, in a democracy, the voice of the youth is heard and the voice of the people is validated,” he said.

Meanwhile, Umme Habiba, who also ended her fast, urged the government to withdraw legal action against protesting students and protect their right to peaceful, democratic protest.

She also sought the reinstatement of Santosh Mastana, withdrawal or closure of CID Case No. 025 in accordance with the rules, and time-bound action on the protesters’ demands.

Habiba said she was fighting for the rights of Jharkhand’s candidates, a fair recruitment system and the future of students.

Mahto reiterated that suspending the protest was not the end of the reform push.

“I am now suspending my protest, but my struggle for reform will continue,” he said, calling for a recruitment system in which paper leaks and examination irregularities do not force future generations of students to undertake similar protests.



Exit mobile version