‘Mob Rule Has Won’: Jharkhand’s JSSC-CGL Qualifiers Take To Streets After Cabinet Scraps Exam

‘Mob Rule Has Won’: Jharkhand’s JSSC-CGL Qualifiers Take To Streets After Cabinet Scraps Exam


‘Ranchi: The Jharkhand Cabinet’s decision to scrap the JSSC-CGL examination has sparked strong resentment among candidates who had cleared the test, secured government appointments and had been working at different locations across the state.

The employees said they had anticipated the possibility of an adverse decision on Monday morning, as student protests at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium intensified and pressure mounted on the government.

After finishing their official duties, the selected candidates came out on the streets to defend the jobs they had held for barely seven months. They formed a human chain and appealed to Chief Minister Hemant Soren not to take any decision that could affect their appointments merely because of the ongoing protests, as reported by The New Indian Express.

The government, however, announced the cancellation of both the JSSC-CGL and the 14th JPSC preliminary examinations. Following the announcement, hundreds of successful candidates again assembled and formed a human chain to draw the authorities’ attention to their concerns.

Candidates Blame ‘Mob Rule’

The protesters said the Cabinet’s decision had allowed “mob rule” to prevail, while candidates selected on merit were being made to bear the consequences.

“Mob rule has won, and the system has lost,” said one successful JSSC-CGL candidate posted in Ranchi. The candidates insisted that they had not been defeated and that their appointments were the result of years of preparation and hard work.

They said they would now seek relief from the judiciary and challenge the government’s decision before the court.

“We will go to court; that is where we will get justice,” they said.

The candidates maintained that the Cabinet’s move had endangered their seven-month-old careers and vowed to pursue every available legal option to safeguard their appointments.

‘Reconsider Decision’

Avdhesh, one of the successful candidates, said their appointments had been made in accordance with a High Court division bench order and had subsequently received the Supreme Court’s approval.

“We were appointed following a High Court division bench ruling. We had the Supreme Court’s seal of approval, yet the government snatched our jobs. All of a sudden, we lost our jobs. We are upset with the Chief Minister. Sir, please reconsider this decision,” Avdhesh said.

He also questioned the fate of candidates who had left their earlier employment to join the government service.

“What about the honourable court’s stance; what will happen to the hundreds of our brothers who resigned from previous jobs to join this one?” he added.

Another candidate argued that the selected employees should not be penalised for alleged wrongdoing they had not committed. The candidate said they were willing to face any investigation ordered by the government.

“If the government and the CID wish, they can scrutinise the answer sheets of every successful JSSC-CGL candidate — conduct any probe they desire — for we have done nothing wrong,” said another candidate.

The candidate said the appointments had been secured through court intervention and expressed hope that the judiciary would again protect them.

“It was the court that had secured us these jobs, and it would be the court that would save us through its orders, as we were not at fault,” he added.

Security was stepped up at the state secretariat after the announcement. A large police contingent was deployed, while the SSP and City SP personally supervised the arrangements.

As the Chief Minister’s convoy moved through the secretariat campus, JSSC-CGL employees raised slogans targeting the ministers. A number of agitated employees also sat in protest outside the Project Building’s main gate, voicing their opposition to the Cabinet’s decision.



Exit mobile version