Aizwal: The Manipur government will hand over the case relating to the abduction of six Naga villagers by armed militants to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh said on Saturday.
The announcement was made during a meeting between the chief minister and a six-member delegation of the United Naga Council (UNC) at the CM’s official residence in Imphal, according to a statement issued by the chief minister’s secretariat.
During the meeting, the UNC urged the government to intensify efforts to trace the six Naga villagers who were abducted from Konsakhul village in Kangpokpi district. The statement said the chief minister informed the delegat
ion that the case would be transferred to the NIA for investigation.
Khemchand also stated that the killing of three church leaders in Kangpokpi district on May 13 had already been handed over to the NIA.
According to the chief minister, search and rescue operations have been underway since May 14 to locate the missing villagers. He appealed to the UNC to help secure the release of 14 Kuki civilians who, according to the government, are also still being held captive since the violence erupted.
The chief minister further appealed to Kuki community leaders to cooperate in tracing the abducted Naga villagers and urged all communities to support efforts aimed at restoring peace and normalcy in the state.
Tensions between Naga and Kuki groups escalated after twin ambushes in Kangpokpi and Noney districts on May 13 left four people dead, including three church leaders and a Naga man. Officials said that 31 people abducted during the violence — including 14 Nagas, 16 Kukis and one Meitei — have since been released. However, 14 Kukis and six Nagas are reportedly still in captivity.
