Odisha Floods: Situation Grim As Water Levels Of Major Rivers Top Danger Mark

Odisha Floods: Situation Grim As Water Levels Of Major Rivers Top Danger Mark


Bhubaneswar: The flood situation in six Odisha districts remained grim on Wednesday with water levels of major rivers on the rising trend despite drop in rain intensity in the state in the past 24 hours.

Officials said heavy rain in the upper catchment areas of the Subarnarekha in neighbouring Jharkhand have pushed up the river’s water level, which crossed the danger mark of 10.36 metres at Rajghat in Jaleswar.

The water level was recorded at 10.40 metres at 9 am, leading to floodwaters entering three blocks – Jaleswar, Basta and Baliapal – in Baleshwar district.

Similarly, the water level of the Jalaka river crossed the danger mark of 6.5 metres at Mathani in Basta. The reading stood at 6.60 metres at 6 am.

The Budhabalanga river was flowing at 7.26 metres in Govindpur, just above its warning level, the officials said, adding that the entire Balasore district was reeling under the deluge, prompting the administration to expedite relief and rescue operations.

Equally grim was the situation in neighbouring Bhadrak and Jajpur districts, with the Salandi river flowing at 17.10 metres against the danger mark of 17 metres at Rajghat. The Baitarani River at Akhuapada was also flowing at 18.65 metres against the danger mark of 18.33 metres, sources in the Water Resources Department said.

Meanwhile, the district administration of Kendrapada, which has been flooded by the Brahmani river, launched a major rescue operation at a residential school in Kulasahi area, where over 300 students remained stranded for four days.

Officials said the second spell of floods affected several people in Baleshwar, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendrapada, Mayurbhanj and Kendujhar districts, where the administration has evacuated over 3.5 lakh residents to safety.

The India Meteorological Department (IMD), however, has not issued any warning for heavy rainfall for three days till August 21.

Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi had earlier said he directed officials concerned to extend all possible assistance to those affected by the floods.

Relief materials, including cooked food, are being provided to the affected people, while around 100 rescue teams have been deployed, officials stated.



Exit mobile version