Oslo: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision not to answer reporters’ questions following a joint press statement with Norway’s prime minister on Monday drew sharp attention and led to a heated confrontation at a subsequent Ministry of External Affairs media briefing in Oslo.
PM Modi is currently in Norway on the fourth leg of a five-nation European tour that so far has included the United Arab Emirates, the Netherlands and Sweden. He is scheduled to travel to Italy on May 19.
Video Sparks Online Debate
Norwegian commentator Helle Lyng triggered the controversy after posting a video on X of Modi departing the venue without taking reporters’ questions. In the footage a woman can be heard shouting, “Why don’t you take some questions from the world’s freest press?”
Lyng said she had not expected Modi to answer her directly and highlighted Norway’s top ranking on the World Press Freedom Index as compared to India’s standing. “Norway has the number one spot on the World Press Freedom Index; India is at 157th, competing with Palestine, Emirates & Cuba. It is our job to question the powers we cooperate with,” she wrote.
The clip quickly ignited debate online, splitting opinion between those who criticised the prime minister’s handling of the media and those who backed the Indian delegation’s response. The issue resurfaced at the MEA’s official press briefing covering the Norway leg of the tour, as reported by ABP News.
Press‑Freedom, Rights Questions In Oslo
A woman who said she worked for a Norwegian newspaper pressed Indian officials at the briefing on “trust
” and alleged human-rights problems in India. She asked whether Mr Modi would begin taking “critical questions from the Indian press.”
Sibi George, MEA Secretary (West), answered at length with a historical perspective of India’s identity. “Let me give a background to what India is,” he said, describing it as a 5,000-year-old continuous civilisation that has made significant contributions to the world.
The official repeatedly asked not to be interrupted during his remarks. “Please don’t interrupt me,” he said, visibly irritated while continuing his explanation.
MEA Defends India’s Record
George argued that India had earned global trust through its actions, highlighting its response during the Covid‑19 pandemic. “You asked why should a country trust India, let me answer that question,” he said. “The whole world suffered in Covid… what did we do? We didn’t hide in cave; we didn’t say we will not save the world. We came out offering a helping hand to the world.”
He also pointed to India’s participation and leadership in international fora such as the G20 and AI summits, saying the country had “consistently raised important global concerns and acted responsibly on the world stage.”
The exchange grew more confrontational as the journalist sought a direct answer, while George insisted on being allowed to respond fully. “Please let me answer… these are my prerogatives. You ask a question, don’t ask me to answer in a particular way,” he said firmly.
George further underlined that India, which is home to one-sixth of the world’s population, was not responsible for “one-sixth of the problems of the world”. He defended India’s constitutional framework and pointed to equal rights for women since independence.
When pressed directly on why Mr Modi did not field questions from reporters at the Oslo event, George presented himself as the official handling media interactions for the visit. “I have been doing that and I will continue to do that,” he said.
