Stabbing At Edmonton’s Nanaksar Gurdwara Leaves Two Worshippers Injured; Suspect Arrested

Stabbing At Edmonton’s Nanaksar Gurdwara Leaves Two Worshippers Injured; Suspect Arrested


Edmonton: A 27-year-old man has been arrested after allegedly stabbing two worshippers at an Edmonton gurdwara in the early hours of Friday, leaving both victims injured, Canadian police said. The suspect’s identity and the motive behind the attack have not yet been disclosed.

The incident took place at the large Nanaksar Gurdwara at about 5am local time. It came days after Canadian police said they were probing threatening phone calls directed at two Sikh places of worship in Calgary, roughly two hours south of Edmonton.

The World Sikh Organization said the attack was alarming and had occurred as anti-Sikh hatred was increasing across Canada, as reported by BBC.

Attack Inside Gurdwara

Edmonton police said they first received a report at 04:49 about a man walking amid traffic on a highway. Approximately 15 minutes later, they received information about a stabbing at the temple.

Investigators said the man entered the gurdwara and attempted to reach the prayer area before staff members confronted him. The confrontation then turned violent, with two male worshippers suffering stab wounds.

“This confrontation then escalated, and two male patrons of the Gurdwara were stabbed. Thankfully, quick-acting witnesses intervened and detained the man,” Acting Inspector Eric Stewart said at a presser on Friday.

The injured men, aged 75 and 51, were taken for medical care. Police said neither had suffered serious injuries and both were in stable condition. They described the men as worshippers but did not release further information about them.

Police identified the suspect as a 27-year-old man who was already known to them. Officials said he had a long record of violent attacks dating back to 2015.

The suspect had been released from a federal prison in Alberta on Thursday, one day before the gurdwara incident. He was required to report to a designated halfway house in Edmonton but failed to do so, police said.

Charges had not yet been filed, and investigators were examining whether the attack could have been motivated by hate or an extremist ideology.

Probe Into Possible Motive

Edmonton police chief Warren Driechel asked people not to reach conclusions before the investigation determined the suspect’s motive. However, he said authorities were increasingly concerned about hate-related offences.

“I see the heightened geopolitical tensions and increasing polarisation around the world showing up locally,” he said. “These realities can’t be ignored, and we need to call them out when they happen. We cannot remain silent.”

The World Sikh Organization also said Sikh scripture inside the gurdwara had been desecrated during the incident. Police confirmed they were aware of the claim and were looking into it.

“Police are currently on scene and the Gurdwara has been closed to the public while the investigation continues,” the Sikh organisation said in its statement.

The attack followed reports of threatening calls to two gurdwaras in Calgary. Calgary Mayor Jeromy Farkas condemned those threats in a social media post, calling them “utterly disgusting”.

“Gurdwaras are places of hospitality, generosity and service. Everyone is welcome,” Farkas said.

 



Exit mobile version