Two Criminals Arrested After 20-Day Stay At Govt Circuit House In Odisha’s Raurkela

Two Criminals Arrested After 20-Day Stay At Govt Circuit House In Odisha’s Raurkela


Raurkela: Raghunathpalli police in Odisha’s Raurkela have arrested two anti-social elements, who had allegedly been using the government-owned Panposh Circuit House in Rourkela as a hideout for more than 20 days.

Two illegal firearms and several live bullets were recovered from the duo, who sources said had been enjoying the facilities of the state-managed guesthouse since July 21, checking in and out on multiple occasions.

According to police sources, the arrested men were linked to an influential young BJP leader from Rourkela. The incident came to light after the duo uploaded video clips on social media threatening rivals. One of those held has been identified as Bikash Dungri of the Plant Site area of Raurkela, while the other hails from Berhampur.

DIG (Western Range) Brijesh Kumar Rai said that acting on a tip-off, police raided the Circuit House early on Saturday and arrested the two with the weapons and ammunition. Based on information provided by them, five of their accomplices were subsequently arrested from different parts of the city and two more illegal firearms were recovered.

An FIR has been registered in connection with the case.

All seven arrested – Bikash Dunguri, Sagar Sahu, Narayan Sahu, Rajesh Sahu, Kartar Singh, Rajesh Srivastava and Vicky Sharma – reportedly have multiple previous cases involving assault, possession of firearms and criminal intimidation.

Rai confirmed that the two anti-socials had gained access to the Circuit House through a local influential person.

Preliminary investigation has revealed that the recently renovated facility, regarded as one of the best government guesthouses in the region, was outsourced to a private agency. The possible role of the agency in harbouring the suspects is under scrutiny, as is the question of how they secured easy entry to the premises.

The Circuit House is under the care of a Nizarat officer, with the Panposh sub-collector serving as the competent authority for its management. Panposh sub-collector CK Mallick did not respond to repeated calls seeking comment.

Sundargarh collector Subhankar Mohapatra stated that he was not aware of the incident and that police would investigate any wrongdoing and full details would emerge only after the probe is completed.

Police are examining why two suites were booked for nearly 25 days and what activities took place there during that period, along with the circumstances under which the weapon was brought into the government facility, the sources added.




Exit mobile version