Cuttack: The Odisha Cricket Association (OCA) on Sunday witnessed high drama when member Lalitendu Bidyadhar Mohapatra staged a walkout from the Special General Body Meeting in Cuttack, protesting against the delay in conducting elections for the body’s office-bearers.
Mohapatra, a former BCCI member and ex-MLA, described the postponement as unconstitutional and a violation of democratic principles. The elections were due in October 2025, following the completion of the 3-year term, which began after polls on October 28, 2022.
He alleged that office-bearers are reluctant to hold polls and are using the National Sports Governance Act as an excuse for the postponement. He argued that the BCCI and other major associations, including Maharashtra and Karnataka, have successfully held their elections following the Lodha Committee’s recommendations.
Mohapatra also expressed surprise and disappointment at the presence of legal luminaries at the meeting, which he believed should have been a platform for open discussion among members. He criticised the use of a consent form where members were asked to choose between old and new election methods, calling it “unethical and unconstitutional”.
He also warned of legal recourse through the court of law, while demanding a thorough investigation, including a special audit and vigilance inquiry, into the financial and operational management of the OCA.
Mohapatra added that he would appeal to the Chief Minister for his intervention and also notify the BCCI about these issues.
Meanwhile, OCA Secretary Sanjay Behera dismissed Mohapatra’s allegations. “This was the second Special General Body meeting to discuss the election process. We had earlier held one in Puri. The house today unanimously decided to move away from the Lodha Committee guidelines in favour of the new National Sports Policy. The BBCI and all associated members have to approve the new Act. All India Football Federation has already issued circulars to the state bodies. The elections will be held here once the BCCI issues a circular regarding the implementation of the new Act. The same office-bearers will continue till then,” he clarified.
Behera further noted that the ombudsman and ethics officer were invited to the meeting to clear doubts of the members regarding the Act. “The election could have been held in November last year. However, the Act was not notified when the Special General Meeting was held in August 2025 to discuss the election process. Since an international match was scheduled for December 9, the members unanimously decided to postpone the elections,” he said.
The OCA Secretary termed the walkout by Mohapatra as appalling.
Echoing the same, OCA president Pankaj Mohanty said that the proposal received significant support, with 67 out of 73 members voting for the transition. “The association is currently waiting for detailed amendments to the constitution from the BCCI to finalise the new electoral framework,” he said.
While acknowledging the concerns raised by Mohapatra and other members, he stressed that it is a collective decision and the primary goal of these reforms is to foster the growth and development of cricket in the state.
The National Sports Governance Act, 2025, aims to standardise Indian sports administration by establishing a National Sports Board (NSB) to regulate, recognise, and oversee all sports federations, including the BCCI.












