Washington, DC: The United States Secret Service shot dead a 21-year-old youth after he opened fire outside the White House on Saturday.
According to reports, the shooting occurred outside the White House at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. The suspect approached a checkpoint, took out a weapon from a bag, and began firing at the officers stationed there, a Secret Service spokesperson said.
Authorities said that nearly 15 to 30 shots were fired. Secret Service agents returned fire and wounded the man, identified as Nasire Best. He died on the way to GW Medical Center, as reported by The Statesman.
Best was from Maryland and his social media accounts included one post that appeared to threaten violence against president Donald Trump. In another post, he wrote that he was the son of God.
Law enforcement officials claimed that Best had a documented history. Some of them said he also had a history of mental health concerns.
Agents had previously detained Best near the White House on June 26, 2025, after he approached officers and made threats, and again on July 10, 2025, for entering a restricted area at the complex.
He was placed under arrest on a charge of unlawful entry on July 10 after he walked into a restricted area near the White House, according to a court document filed in the Superior Court for the District of Columbia.
The New York Post cited court records that stated how Best claimed he was Jesus Christ during the July incident. He also said that he wanted to get arrested. Following that incident, he was sent to a psychiatric ward for mental health treatment.
Best was previously known to both the Metropolitan Police Department and the Secret Service, officials said.
CBS News reporters who were on the White House North Lawn said they heard what sounded like gunfire. This happened around 6 pm before the Secret Service ushered them inside. A White House lockdown was lifted just before 7 pm
Reports said that a bystander was also struck during the exchange of fire and remains in critical condition. An US Secret Service agent was taken to the hospital as a precaution. None of the agents were believed to have been struck by gunfire.
Trump was unharmed inside the White House, and the gunman never breached the grounds’ general perimeter, officials said.
House Speaker Mike Johnson responded to the incident. He commended the federal response and said the country is grateful for the brave Secret Service agents who took quick, decisive action to protect president Trump, and offered prayers for the victims of the shooting for a speedy recovery.













