New Delhi: The police constable who fired an AK-47 at protesters was trapped in a crowd, the Bihar government has told the Supreme Court.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) constable fired four rounds from the weapon in the air, the affidavit mentioned.
“No one was injured from the bullets of the AK-47,” the affidavit said.
The Bihar Police maintained that excessive force was not used and the crowd was met with “utmost restraint”, while agreeing that the AK-47 is a “platoon-level weapon used in special operations” and not used in “law-and-order situations”, as reported by The Hindu.
Another police officer had fired his 9mm pistol to “disperse the mob”, the affidavit said.
“Three protesters suffered minor firearm injuries”, the affidavit said, without explaining whether they were injured in the 9mm pistol shooting or separately.
It, however, clarified that the injuries were not caused by the AK-47. The injured protesters were given the “best possible treatment”, the police said.
“Ballistic examination is being carried out to ascertain the type of weapon, distance of fire, angle of fire, etc,” the affidavit said.
Detailed instructions regarding the use of AK-47s had already been issued by the DGP on August 1, ostensibly to prevent such incidents, it has been mentioned.
“Thus, it is respectfully submitted that the State and its agencies have maintained utmost restraint and have not used any disproportionate force to cause any harm to the protestors,” the affidavit said.
It, however, pointed out that protesters have severely damaged public property, and officials involved in maintaining law and order were deliberately attacked by anti-social elements who joined the protest.
Electronic evidence, including CCTV footage, videography, etc, has been preserved, the police said.
Detailed instructions were given to police personnel to preserve the personal information and digital data of protesters/students collected during the protests and not to disclose them in any public domain or on social media for the “time being”, it has been submitted.
It was not taking coercive measures against students without any criminal antecedents, the police said. Instructions have been given to release students under 18 years of age reported to be arrested or detained.
The constable involved in the firing has been identified as Abhishek Patel. He has been placed under suspension after the incident.














