Bhubaneswar: The flood situation in seven districts of Odisha eased on Friday as water levels in major rivers dropped below the danger mark, while the government maintained a close watch and focussed on relief, rescue and restoration operations.
Officials said major rivers, including Subarnarekha in worst-hit Baleshwar district, remained below the danger mark amid no significant rainfall in the last 48 hours.
The Subarnarekha, which inundated the densely populated Baliapal, Bhograi and Jaleswar blocks of Baleshwar and affected over 2.1 lakh people, was flowing below the danger level, they said.
The water level is receding at Rajghat. It was recorded at 9.75 metres against the danger level of 10.36 metres. The peak flood was witnessed in the Subarnarekha on August 20 when the water level reached 11.82 metres, said an official.
Similarly, the water levels in two other major rivers, Jalaka and Budhabalanga, which caused severe flooding in Baleshwar Sadar, Basta and Remuna blocks, were also below the danger mark, ruling out the possibility of further flooding in the areas.
However, the water level in the Baitarani river was on a rising trend, posing a threat to parts of Kendrapara and Jajpur districts, officials said.
The second spell of floods since August 14 has affected over 13.44 lakh people in seven districts, while around five lakh people have been evacuated as a large number of villages were inundated, officials said.
The flood situation continues to be under close watch, with relief, rescue, restoration and essential service operations being carried out continuously across the affected areas.
According to the latest report from the office of the Special Relief Commissioner (SRC), during the current phase of flood, seven districts – Baleshwar, Mayurbhanj, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendujhar, Kendrapada, and Sundargada – have been affected.
As many as 13,44,698 people in 176 Blocks, 505 Gram Panchayats, 1,703 villages and 12 Urban Local Bodies, have been impacted by the floods,.
During the last few days, the situation remained comparatively challenging in Mayurbhanj, Baleshwar, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendrapada and Kendujhar districts. However, as of today major rivers have been showing a falling trend and are below the danger level.
As a precautionary measure, altogether 4,87,350 people have been evacuated and accommodated in 880 relief shelters.
Relief and restoration operations are continuing in all affected areas, with the situation being monitored round the clock by the SEOC in coordination with the District Emergency Operation Centres (DEOCs) at the district levels.
Officials said the relief shelters are being provided with essential facilities including safe drinking water, sanitation, lighting, medical support and cooked food. In marooned villages, cooked food and safe drinking water are being provided to affected people at their homes through response teams. Special arrangements have been ensured for children, pregnant women, elderly persons and persons with disabilities.
Free kitchens continue to remain operational across affected areas, with 4,95,833 beneficiaries being provided with cooked food so far. Dry food materials and essential relief items are also being supplied as per local requirements, with 4,765 polythene sheets/rolls distributed to affected families.
To strengthen rescue and emergency response operations, 126 response teams have been deployed across the affected districts. These include 32 ODRAF teams, 8 NDRF teams, 46 Fire and Emergency Services teams and 40 Police/Civil Defence/Local teams. Additional resources continue to remain available for deployment as required.
The response teams have been working continuously to reach affected communities and provide timely assistance. So far, 30,303 persons have been rescued, while 55,139 persons have been shifted through boats. Rescue teams have reached 492 cut-off villages, and 124 emergency medical evacuations have been carried out. A total of 210 boats and specialised equipment have been deployed for rescue and relief operations.
Health services continue to remain a priority in all affected areas. 93 medical assistance teams have been deployed, and 159 medical camps have been conducted. A total of 11,549 persons have received medical assistance so far. Special attention is being given to maternal healthcare, with 150 pregnant women shifted to health institutions and 44 institutional deliveries conducted. Adequate availability of essential medicines, Anti-Snake Venom, ORS and IV fluids has been ensured, and no disease outbreak has been reported so far.
Veterinary support is also being extended to affected communities. 39 veterinary teams/RRTs have been deployed and 174 veterinary camps have been organised. So far, 15939 animals have been treated/vaccinated, while 1405.2 MT of cattle feed has been supplied to support livestock care and the needs of affected families.
The office of the SRC continues to maintain a close and continuous watch over the flood situation through the State Emergency Operation Centre, ensuring round-the-clock coordination with district administrations and concerned departments.












