Bhubaneswar: Following recent violence, vandalism, and public transport disruptions by protesting cab and auto-rickshaw drivers in Bhubaneswar, the Odisha government announced a firm crackdown on Thursday, cautioning that violators will face severe legal and financial repercussions.
Speaking to the media, Housing and Urban Development Minister Krushna Chandra Mahapatra said that any damage caused to government property, vehicles, and public assets during the agitation will be recovered directly from the offending auto drivers. “Taking the law into one’s own hands, attacking innocent citizens, assaulting police personnel, and damaging government buses and vehicles is completely unacceptable. Protesters have the right to submit their demands to the government, but resorting to vandalism and violence is strictly illegal.”
The Minister further stated that the Mohan Charan Majhi-led state government will initiate strict action against those engaging in violent acts, including the cancellation of driving licenses and vehicle road permits. “The government has decided to take tough measures. Drivers involved in violence will face cancellation of their driving licences and route permits. Illegal auto stands operated by individuals involved in goondaism will be demolished. Furthermore, the financial losses caused by the destruction of government and public property will be recovered directly from the offending drivers,” he said.
This comes even as the Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Commissionerate Police initiated a major crackdown by demolishing an unauthorised auto stand operated by the “Smart City Online Auto & Taxi Group” at Master Canteen Square. State transport officials also confirmed that verification of registration, fitness, and permit documentation of seized vehicles is underway to officially revoke the permits.
Mahapatra highlighted the state’s official digital platform as a zero-commission alternative designed to safeguard driver earnings and enhance commuter safety. “Through the Odisha Yatri app, general passengers will benefit, and drivers themselves will reap the rewards directly. The money will not go toward any middleman commission, allowing drivers to retain full benefits. I request all driver brothers not to resort to violence, join the Odisha Yatri platform, and avail its benefits,” he added.
A total of 113 people have been arrested for their alleged involvement in violence as the protest by drivers of app-based ride-hailing services in Bhubaneswar, pressing for the fulfilment of their seven-point charter of demands, including a fare hike, reduction in application fees, social security and other benefits, entered the third day on Wednesday. Police have also seized 354 vehicles for allegedly violating norms.
Seven FIRs have so far been registered against the protesters at Kharvel Nagar police station in connection with the violence.
