Washington: President Donald Trump said on Saturday that US and Iranian negotiators are “getting a lot closer” to finalizing an agreement that would end the war now stretching into its third month, according to an interview with CBS News.
In remarks aired by CBS, Trump said a final agreement would preclude Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Tehran’s enriched uranium is “satisfactorily handled.” He added, “I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want,” according to CBS.
Iran, the United States, and mediator Pakistan all stated on Saturday that progress had been made in talks aimed at ending nearly three months of war between the two sides, Reuters reported. The discussions have centred on curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions and securing the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, the critical oil and gas supply route currently under Iranian control.
Trump said he would review the latest draft of the prospective Iran agreement with his advisers on Saturday and could decide by Sunday whether to accept the deal or resume hostilities. In a separate interview with Axios, he hinted at the high‑stakes nature of the decision.
“Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Trump was quoted as saying, according to Axios. His comment showed how he keeps moving between the threat of new military strikes and the push for a negotiated deal since the ceasefire began six weeks ago. That pause in fighting was meant to give both sides time to agree on Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.













