Bhubaneswar: The legend of the Indian film industry is celebrating his 79th birthday on Monday. Amitabh Bachchan, who has a very interesting line-up of films – ‘The Intern’ and ‘Brahmastra’- has proved that age is just a number. His thriller-mystery ‘Chehre’ was released in theatres on August 27. The film is now streaming on Amazon Prime.
Here are 15 Interesting facts about Big B
- He began his career in films in 1969 as a voice narrator in Mrinal Sen’s ‘Bhuvan Shome’. Director Satyajit Ray also used his voice in his 1977 film ‘Shatranj Ke Khiladi’.
- Big B had made his debut as an actor in 1969 with Khwaja Ahmad Abbas’s ‘Saat Hindustani’.
- Amitabh Bachchan tried to become a radio presenter before trying his luck in Bollywood but he was rejected by All India Radio, Delhi.
- He was also rejected during his first audition for films because he was too tall.
- Mehmood had offered Amitabh a place to stay in his house during the latter’s days of struggle.
- Sunil Dutt signed him for a mute’s role in ‘Reshma Aur Shera’ because of a letter of introduction from the then PM Indira Gandhi to friend Nargis.
- Amitabh had 12 consecutive flops from 1969 to 1973 before delivering his first hit, ‘Zanjeer’.
- Amitabh has played more double roles than any other actor. In ‘Mahaan’, he had a triple role.
- In 1982, Amitabh had a near-death experience. The doctors and his family had lost hopes after he met with an accident on the sets of the movie ‘Coolie’.
- In the 90s, Amitabh Bachchan found himself almost bankrupt. He had to ask Yash Chopra for a job and then he was seen in ‘Mohabbatein’.
- Amitabh’s real last name is Srivastava but he uses his father’s pen name ‘Bachchan’ as his last name.
- Amitabh can write with both his right as well as left hand.
- Though he is not a singer, he has lent his voice in more than 20 films.
- He was one of the judges of the 1995 Miss World beauty Pageant.
- In a poll conducted by BBC News, Amitabh Bachchan had won the title of ‘Actor of the Millennium’ by beating stars like Charlie Chaplin and Marlon Brando.