Dhenkanal: A major fire reduced more than 20 houses to ashes at Surapratap village under Bhuban block in Dhenkanal district on Monday.
According to the villagers, their valuables, including cash, gold ornaments and wheat stock were completely destroyed in the mishap. They said their families were sitting in the open and demanded the district administration to provide financial assistance to rebuild their houses.
The blaze started from a house owing to suspected electric short circuit and quickly spread to the nearby houses. However, no human casualty or injury has been reported, fire personnel said.
On being informed about the incident, local MLA and tehsildar reached the spot and provided cooked food to the victims.