3 Boys Die, 11 Hospitalized After Food Poisoning At Home For Destitute
Chennai: Three boys have died while 11 others are undergoing treatment in hospital following a case of suspected food poisoning at a home for destitute in Tirupur, Tamil Nadu, on Thursday.
According to officials, the boys had rice with ‘rasam’ and laddu for dinner at Sri Vivekananda Home For Destitute on Wednesday, PTI reported. Some of them vomited and had dysentery.
On Thursday, some of the boys fell unconscious after breakfast.
The sick boys were admitted to a private hospital and later shifted to government hospitals in Tirupur and Avinashi.
Three of them — aged between 8 and 13 years – passed away at the hospital. Of the 11 boys undergoing treatment, three have been admitted to Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
Tirupur District Collector S Vineeth said after visiting the hospital that the food samples had been collected and sent for examination, following preliminary reports of food poisoning.
Police have launched a full-fledged inquiry into the incident and questioning people who run the home.
Strictest of actions will be taken against the home if found guilty after the inquiry, the collector said.