Bhubaneswar: Transport Commissioner Sanjeeb Panda and his wife Santosh Bala, Special Secretary of Home Department, were among the visitors who had a close shave in the fire mishap at Satkosia Eco-Retreat, the glamour camping site on the banks of the Mahanadi at Baliput in Odisha’s Cuttack district.
Three cottages were gutted.
The IPS officer and his wife were staying in one of the cottages at the Eco Retreat camp.
“By the grace of God, me and Santosh escaped without any injury as fire broke out in our tent at Satkosia Eco Retreat at about 5 am,” posted Panda on Facebook.
The Odisha Tourism also tweeted to inform that all visitors are safe and a probe into the matter is being conducted. “Steps will be taken to ensure that no recurrence of such an incident happens in future,” it said.
n a fire accident at Satkosia Eco Retreat at 5 am today, 3 tents caught fire. The fire was quickly extinguished. Fortunately, there was no injury or loss of life. All guests are safe. Inquiry into the matter is being conducted.
— Odisha Tourism (@odisha_tourism) February 28, 2021
An electric short circuit is being suspected to have caused the fire.
Notably, the Eco Retreat Festival at Baliputa was inaugurated on December 9 last year to revive the COVID-19 hit tourism sector.