Couple From Odisha’s Cuttack City Among 8 Killed In Secunderabad Fire Mishap
Secunderabad: A couple from Odisha’s Cuttack city were among the eight, who died in the major fire mishap at Ruby Motors and Ruby Pride Luxury Hotel building near the passport office in Telangana’s Secunderabad late on Monday.
The deceased have been identified as Chandan Jethi and his wife Mithali Mahapatra Jethi of Sati Chaura area in Cuttack.
According to sources, Chandan was working with an IT firm in Hyderabad while Mithali was in Secunderabad for some training. They tied the nuptial knot two years ago. The couple had booked their room in the hotel above the electronic vehicle showroom where the fire broke out.
The hotel is situated on the top five floors of the building and has 28 rooms. As many as 25 guests were present when the fire broke out around 10 pm.
The local police recovered the bodies from the hotel and informed the family. On being informed, Chandan’s family arrived in Secunderabad to receive the body, which was admitted to Gandhi Hospital.
“Chandan’s wife had a training programme in Secunderabad today. However, the unfortunate incident occurred last night. Police told us that the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the electronic vehicle showroom. I am not aware of the location now but I have heard that it is in front of Secunderabad station,” Chandan’s brother told local media.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (North Zone) Deepthi Chandana said officials suspect that the fire occurred due to an explosion either in an electrical scooter or a generator in the Ruby Motors showroom.
Police further said that the owners of Ruby Motors – Rajender Singh Bugga and Sumeet Singh – had been running the e-bike business illegally for the last one year from the cellar of the building where the explosion occurred.
A case has been registered against the owners of Ruby Motors and Ruby Hotel under IPC Sections 304 (II) (knowledge that death may be caused by an act), 324 (causing hurt by dangerous means) and Section 9 B of the Explosives Act, 1884.