Kalahandi: Vedanta has been at the forefront in taking care of its own employees and also engaging with stakeholders during the coronavirus crisis. Its alumina refinery in Lanjigarh has touched over 1 lakh people through its safety and prevention measures to fight against COVID-19.
Vedanta is taking extensive steps to ensure that the community, associate partners, employees, other stakeholders and all their families are equipped and sensitised to respond to COVID-19.
Here are some of its initiatives:
- Over 1,00,000 washable cloth masks are under preparation through local self-help groups of which 40,000 have been distributed free of cost to the communities in tandem with the district administration.
- Over 100 self-help group members are being provided free of cost training, sewing machines and raw materials as required, so they have a regular source of income to support their families at this time, when sources of livelihood are scarce.
- The district administration’s COVID hospital in Bhawanipatna has been given 60,000 surgical gloves, 25,000 surgical masks in addition to surgical gowns, and 6,000 bottles of sanitizers.
- Over 20,000 soaps have been distributed to the villagers.
- Vedanta’s CSR team, Mobile Health Units, employee volunteers along with aanganwadi workers and health workers are covering over 70 villages to spread awareness on COVID-19 prevention and social-distancing, in addition to distributing masks and soaps.
- Over 1100 workers are being provided meals twice a day along with other essentials.
- Over 500 employees of Vedanta’s Lanjigarh refinery have voluntarily contributed one day’s salary for COVID-19 relief.
- The company’s 20-bedded hospital is in a state of preparedness to support the district administration. The hospital continues to serve about 7000 patients per month from the community. A 24×7 telephonic helpline has been set up by Vedanta hospital to address any queries or concerns on COVID-19 from the community.
- Fumigation and disinfection of all prominent public places, local areas, public offices and township are being undertaken.