Rourkela: A fire broke out in the inverter room of National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela, around 6 pm on Sunday evening.
There were no reports of casualty in the mishap.
According to sources, some students spotted thick smoke billowing out from the inverter room and informed the fire service department.
A fire tender soon reached the spot and doused the flames. A short-circuit could have triggered the fire in which two Air Conditioners were gutted, the fire personnel informed.
In December 2018, properties worth lakhs of rupees and several important documents were reduced to ashes in a massive fire in the Purchase and Works department of the institute. A major mishap was averted and assets worth lakhs were saved after a fire erupted in its computer lab in May the same year.