New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi turned 69 on Tuesday and BJP has kicked off a ‘Seva Saptah’ (service week) to celebrate his birthday.
The party is also undertaking innumerable social initiatives in the country. It will also hold several exhibitions to showcase the PM’s social work.
On his part, the PM will visit his home state of Gujarat to celebrate his special day. He is scheduled to pay a visit to Kevadia and then meet his nonagenarian mother, Hiraba, at Raisan village to seek her blessings.
Here Are 10 Interesting Facts About Narendra Modi:
- Narendra Damodardas Modi was born on September 17, 1950, making him the first Prime Minister to be born in independent India.
- Modi left home in his early teens to travel across India. He stayed in various ashrams and was fascinated by the might and grandeur of the Himalayas.
- Modi joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) on October 3, 1972.
- He joined BJP in 1987, the same year when BJP won the Ahmedabad municipal elections. Since then, the party never lost the civic polls in Ahmedabad, except in 2000. Ironically, Modi was outside Gujarat at that time.
- In October 2001, then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee appointed Narendra Modi as the chief minister of Gujarat.
- Modi won a Time Magazine reader’s poll and was voted the person of the year in 2014.
- He is the first non-Congress Prime Minister to have two consecutive terms with a full majority when BJP swept the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.
- He is a great follower of Swami Vivekananda.
- After former US President Barack Obama, Narendra Modi is the world’s most followed leader on Twitter, accounting more than 50 million followers.
- Narendra Modi is considered as India’s most techno-savvy leader. He remains active on social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Linkedin, Sound Cloud and Weibo among others.