Here’s Odisha Govt’s Upcoming Initiative For Restoring Green Cover!
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday said 4 crore saplings will be distributed among institutes, organisations and the general public for a green Odisha.
Here are the key takeaways from his address while participating at the ‘Vanmahotsav’ celebration at U.P School in Raj Bhawan here.
1. The Chief Minister said that in all 22 lakh trees were destroyed in the cyclone which hit the state on May 3.
2. The State Government has launched a ‘Post-Fani Coastal Shelter Belt and Afforestation Mission’ to replenish the green cover. Under this mission, 80 lakh saplings will be planted.
3. Besides, 50 lakh saplings will be distributed in the institutes and among the general public in Fani-affected areas.
4. Similarly, other plantation drives, such as green Mahanadi mission, sacred groves and green Odisha mission will continue.
5. The forest department will plant six crore saplings this year alone.
At the State Assembly on Tuesday, Forest and Environment Minister Bikram Keshari Arukha had informed that over 1.2 lakh trees were uprooted in Bhubaneswar because of the cyclone. Puri lost some 49,000 trees and 17,000 trees were uprooted in Cuttack.