Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday said that his party, the BJD, fully supported the idea of “One Nation, One Election”, as frequent elections affect the pace of development and also rock the spirit of cooperative federalism.
Addressing an all-party meeting in New Delhi, the Odisha Chief Minister said he has suggested inclusion of Ahimsa (Non Violence) in the Preamble of the Constitution to celebrate 150 years of Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary.
“This will ensure that future generations, not just of Indians but people around the world, will be reminded of the profound truth of this principle,” he said.
Other highlights of his speech:
- No country has ever progressed without empowering half of its population. BJD will extend complete support to Women’s reservation both in Lok Sabha and Assembly elections.
- As regards development of Aspirational Districts, the Centre should focus on macro issues like Tele density, Banking network and Railway reach. Micro issues may be left to the State to focus with support from the Centre.
- Land acquisition laws should facilitate Society’s welfare and Country’s growth. We have to have a relook at the 2013 Act, especially from the point of view of Railway
and Road infrastructure development.
- Environment Protection and Economic growth has to complement each other. There is a need to relook the Forest Conservation act.
- Central and State PSUs should be treated on an equal footing for statutory requirements.
- Natural disasters may be considered as a criteria for Special Focus on States.
- Biju Janata Dal has always been supportive of whatever is being done in the interest of the country and its people, and we would continue to do so in future as well.