Major Fire Breaks Out At Keonjhar Market Complex In Odisha

Keonjhar: Over 50 shops were reduced to ashes as a major fire broke out at the daily market in Odisha’s Keonjhar town on Monday morning.

Fire Service personnel were soon called in to douse the blaze, which is suspected to have started from a utensil shop due to an electric short-circuit. The flames could be contained after a 3-hour-long effort, sources said.

Sub-Collector Ramachandra Kisku, who visited the mishap site, said that the exact reason behind the fire is still not clear and the matter will be investigated, he added.

A trader told the media that fire had destroyed articles worth lakhs of rupees in his shop by the time he reached the market. He also said that water needed to douse flames is insufficient.

Keonjhar Market Committee secretary Harischandra Das appealed to the district collector to extend a helping hand to the victims. “Valuables worth Rs 50-60 crore have been destroyed in the fire mishap. The victims have lost their only source of income.”



Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.