Only Covaxin For 15-18 Age Group; Check Fresh Govt Guidelines
New Delhi: With the vaccination programme in India set to expand from next week, the Central government issued a fresh set of guidelines on Monday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on Christmas evening in a televised address to the nation that inoculation of children aged 15 to 18 years will kick off on January 3, 2022, while senior citizens with comorbidities will be eligible for ‘precaution doses’ from January 10.
According to the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare’s latest guidelines, those in the age group of 15-18 years will have the option of Covaxin only. Till now, people above 18 could choose between Covishield, Covaxin and Sputnik V.
Following are other crucial guidelines announced on December 27:
* Healthcare workers (HCWs) and frontline workers (FLWs) who have received two doses will be eligible for a third dose after completion of nine months or 39 weeks from date of administration of second dose.
* Those aged 60 and above with comorbidities, who are fully vaccinated, will be provided a precautionary third dose on doctor’s advice. In this category, too, prioritisation and sequencing of third dose will be based on completion of nine months or 39 weeks from date of receiving second dose.
* All citizens, irrespective of their income status, will continue to be entitles for free COVID-19 vaccination at Govt vaccination centres. Those who have the ability to pay, are ‘encouraged’ to get the jab at private hospitals’ vaccination centres
* HCWs, FLWs and senior citizens with comorbidities can access vaccination for third dose through their existing Co-WIN account.
* SMS will be sent to eligible beneficiaries to avail the third dose when it becomes due.
* New beneficiaries, in the 15-18 year category, can register on Co-WIN
* Beneficiaries can self-register online or through an existing account on Co-WIN or by creating a new account through a unique mobile number
* Appointments can be booked online or onsite (walk-in).