52 Killed, Several Injured In ‘Suicide Blast’ Near Balochistan Mosque In Pakistan
New Delhi: A ‘suicide blast’ near a mosque in Pakistan’s Balochistan province on Friday killed at least 52 people and left dozens wounded, according to local media reports. Earlier, the death toll had stood at 34. So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the explosion.
The blast took place in the Mustang district of the southwestern province during a religious gathering marking the birthday of Prophet Mohammed, Pakistan’s Dawn reported citing the assistant commissioner of the district.
Dr Saeed Mirwani, chief executive of a memorial hospital in Mutang, said dozens were being treated at the hospital while more than 20 injured people have been referred to Quetta. “The process of moving bodies and injured persons continues even now,” the hospital CEO told the Pakistani publication.
He clarified that the figure of people wounded in the explosion was earlier wrongly reported higher due to double entries from two hospitals. The correct number of the injured was 50.
Pakistan’s interior ministry said a blast was carried out by “terrorist elements”. “The attack on innocent people who came to participate in the procession of Eid Milad-ul-Nabi is a very heinous act,” the ministry said in a statement. Meanwhile, Balochistan’s Minister for Information Jan Achakzai posted on X, that the number of dead was rising.
Foreign backed elements in #Balochistan want to destroy peace and religious harmony.
I strongly condemn this unfortunate terrorist incident in #Mastung. I will share further details with my countrymen in my press conf.
CM Blaochistan @MirAliMardan has directed LEAs to arrest…
— Jan Achakzai / جان اچکزئی (@Jan_Achakzai) September 29, 2023