COVID Cases Rise In Odisha: Situation Under Control, Only 1% In Hospitals, Says Health Secy

Bhubaneswar: Odisha Health Secretary Nikunj Dhal on Monday said although COVID-19 infections were rising in the state, the overall situation remained under control.

While there were 3,360 active cases as of Monday and infections were rising in Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Rourkela and Puri, Dhal said that the symptoms in most patients were mild. Just 1% of the total cases were in hospital with the remaining 99% in home isolation, he informed.

According to him, COVID-19 testing has been ramped up in the state to 15,000 tests daily from 10,000 about a month ago. The state government plans to conduct 25,000 tests per day, he said.

“The precaution dose is being administered free of cost to frontline warriors and 60-plus people. The Centre has to decide whether the precaution dose will be given free of cost to the 18-59 age group,” Dhal said.

Dhal said that a high-level meeting on the COVID situation in the state will be held soon and, if needed, the state government would take up the issue of free precaution dose with the Centre.

State Public Health Director Niranjan Mishra also said on Monday that despite cases rising, the rate of hospitalisation was very low compared to previous waves.

In the first and second waves, an average 15% patients were being hospitalised. Only 28 patients are now in hospitals, he said.

Odisha reported 572 cases on Monday. It’s the third straight day that the state has recorded over 500 cases. Odisha recorded 576 cases on Sunday and 512 cases on Saturday.

Active cases in the state crossed the 3,000-mark with 3,360 cases as of Monday.

Among the fresh cases, 69 are in the 0-18 age group. According to the I&PR Department, 336 cases are from quarantine and 236 cases from local contacts.

Here’s the district-wise tally of cases:

  1. Angul: 14
  2. Balasore: 12
  3. Bargarh: 1
  4. Bhadrak: 3
  5. Balangir: 2
  6. Boudh: 1
  7. Cuttack: 68
  8. Deogarh: 2
  9. Gajapati: 5
  10. Jagatsinghpur: 8
  11. Jajpur: 15
  12. Jharsuguda: 6
  13. Kalahandi: 5
  14. Kendrapada: 1
  15. Keonjhar: 3
  16. Khurda: 219
  17. Koraput: 4
  18. Mayurbhanj: 16
  19. Nayagarh: 5
  20. Nuapada: 8
  21. Puri: 12
  22. Rayagada: 2
  23. Sambalpur: 41
  24. Sonepur: 3
  25. Sundargarh: 63

Besides, 53 cases are from the state pool.

With 13,462 samples tested in the last 24 hours, the TPR stood at 4.24%.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.