Madrid: Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested that he could bring his professional football career to an end this year, saying he wants to leave the sport after creating a lasting legacy, AFP reported.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the comments in an interview with Vogue magazine published on Sunday. Ronaldo, regarded as one of football’s greatest-ever players, has scored more than 950 goals for club and country during a career spanning a quarter of a century.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo told the magazine. He added that his life after football was “all mapped out”.
The Al Nassr forward has previously spoken about retiring “soon”, at times suggesting that he could continue playing for another “one or two years”. However, his latest comments represent his clearest indication yet that his career may be nearing its conclusion.
Asked about his plans once he stops playing, Ronaldo said he had several interests and commitments waiting for him.
“I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard,” he said, mentioning travel and padel among his preferred activities.
Ronaldo also said he understood that leaving football could create a sizeable gap in his daily life and that he would need several pursuits to adjust to the change.
“Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one,” said the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus forward.
Ronaldo married his longtime partner Georgina Rodriguez in a private ceremony at the Portuguese resort of Cascais on Tuesday. Speaking about their life after football, he said he hoped they would be able to enjoy the rewards of his extraordinary career.
He told Vogue that he wanted to “continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice”.
After guiding Portugal to the last 16 of his final World Cup this summer, Ronaldo is expected to return to Al Nassr as the Saudi club prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season.















