Death Toll In Morocco Earthquake Crosses 2,100; Reaching Atlas Mountain Areas Still A Challenge
New Delhi: The deadly earthquake that hit Morocco on the night of September 8 has led to more than 2,100 deaths.
According to the latest update from the Moroccan Interior Ministry, at least 2,122 people have lost their lives and 2,421 injured. The number of casualties is expected to increase.
The deaths reported so far include 1,351 people reported in Al Haouz Province, 492 in Taroudant Province, 201 in Chichaoua and 17 in Marrakech, the ministry said in a press release.
An earthquake measuring 6.8 on Richter scale struck close to the historic Moroccan city of Marrakech, destroying homes in villages across the Atlas Mountains, as well as historical sites.
Marrakech residents told reporters on Sunday that aftershocks could still be felt.
Emergency services and Moroccan troops struggled to reach the most affected areas in Atlas Mountains region as roads were blocked by loads of debris, Xinhua reported citing local media.
Moroccan Red Crescent (MRC) said the situation posed a huge challenge in search and rescue efforts.
“Getting heavy machinery into those remote areas of the Atlas Mountains is a priority,” MRC stated.
According to World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates, the earthquake has affected over 300,000 people in the ancient old city and its outskirts.