Mumbai’s Rising COVID Graph: 90% Cases From Highrises In Jan-Feb

Mumbai: No less than 90 per cent of coronavirus positive cases in Mumbai during January and February were residents of highrise buildings, while the remaining 10 per cent were from slums and chawls, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has said.

A total of 23,002 people tested positive for COVID-19 in the first two months of 2021, of which over 20,000 lived in those buildings as per BMC data.

The situation, however, has changed to some extent in March with the number of cases from slums increasing, PTI reported.

“We are now receiving a large number of patients from slums as well. Most of them are from middle and lower class background,” a doctor of a civic hospital was quoted as saying.

BMC informed that number of containment zones and sealed buildings in India’s business capital rose 170% and 66.42%, respectively since March.

A total of 3,38,631 people have been infected by the virus till date, of whom 11,515 have lost their lives.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.