National Education Policy 2020 Unveiled: 10+2 Structure To Be Changed To 5+3+3+4; M Phil Discontinued
New Delhi: A new education policy was unveiled in India after 34 years on Wednesday.
Announcing the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, Union Ministers Prakash Javadekar and Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank said there would be a single regulator for all higher education institutions and that M Phil would be discontinued.
Also, the 10+2 structure will be changed to 5+3+3+4,
The Union Cabinet also agreed to rename the HRD Ministry as Education Ministry.
Following are the key points under NEP 2020:
* Report Card to be replaced with Progress Card which will include: Self-assessment, Peer-assessment, Teacher-assessment
* Education Ministry Targets 50% Gross Enrollment Ratio By 2035
* 10+2 structure to be changed to 5+3+3+4
* Multiple entry/exit points to be allowed — UG programme: 3 to 4 years, PG programme: 1 to 2 years
* Integrated 5-year Bachelors/Masters programme and M Phil to be discontinued
* Universalization of early childhood care education
* Reduction in curriculum to core concepts
* Use of technology in higher education with equity
* No child shall be left behind
* E-courses in regional languages
* Graded autonomy for autonomous colleges
* Phasing out of affiliation system in 15 years
* Single Regulator for higher education
* Public investment in the education sector to reach 6% of GFP at the earliest. Currently, it is around 4.43% including state and Central govt
* E-courses will be developed in regional languages in education planning, teaching, administration and regulation. Virtual labs to digitally equip schools, teachers and students to be created. The e-content to be available in regional languages starting with Kannada, Odia, Bengali, Tamil etc to join Hindi and English
* Standalone Higher Education Institutes and professional education institutes will be evolved into multi-disciplinary education with a National Educational Technology Forum (NETF) to be created
* Emphasis to be placed on Divyang-friendly education software