Odisha SRC Issues Set Of Rules For Bursting Crackers On Diwali; Know Dos & Don’ts
Bhubaneswar: Following the Orissa High Court order on Monday granting permission for sale and bursting of only green crackers this Diwali, the state government has issued a set of guidelines in this regard.
The Special Relief Commissioner (SRC), which was asked by the High Court last week to take a decision on the issue, has released a list of instructions. The SRC in its order said as per the direction of the High Court, following guidelines have to be followed in the state during the festivals of Diwali, Chhat Puja and Kartik Purnima:
- Sale and use of fireworks shall be limited to only “green fireworks” that conform to the definition and formulation as proposed by CSIR-NEERI. (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research — National Environmental Engineering Research Institute)
- Sale and use of other fireworks shall be completely banned. Sale and use of joined firecrackers (series crackers or /laril) shall also remain banned.
- Only those traders/ dealers who obtain and produce certificate from the PESO (Petroleum & Explosive Safety Organisation), after due inspection of their existing stock, certifying that the green fireworks stocks in their possession conform to the definition and formulation proposed by CSIR-NEERI and are genuine shall be allowed to sell their products.
- Authenticated copy of the PESO certificate granted after due inspection of existing stocks lying in possession of the traders/dealers shall be deposited with the district administration/police commissioner for getting permission to sell the green fireworks.
- Traders/dealers who fail to obtain and produce the certificate from PESO shall not be allowed to sell their products, keeping the “precautionary principle” in mind. Mere labelling of fireworks boxes as “green fireworks” and providing QR codes shall not entitle any trader/ dealer to sell the same.
- Only those retailers who obtain a licence from the concerned authorities under the provisions of the Indian Explosives Act, 1884 shall be allowed to sell green fireworks.
- Retailers will be allowed to set up shops and sell green fireworks only in special zones designated by the respective District Administrations/Police Commissionerate.
- Green fireworks will only be sold at designated sites as permitted by appropriate authority and all COVID-19 protocols strictly followed. Sale of fireworks on the internet shall be strictly banned.
- Wholesale Traders and Retailers shall have to produce original invoices on demand by the District Administration/ Police Commissionerate.
- The use of fireworks will be limited to 8 pm to 10 pm on Diwali on November 4. Use of fireworks beyond the said time frame shall be visited with strict penal action.
- Violation of any of the aforesaid conditions shall be dealt with strictly and penal action shall be taken in accordance with law.
The SRC advised the people to perform rituals at home avoiding mass gathering and adhering to the COVID-19 protocols such as physical distancing, use of face mask/ covering and handwashing/hand sanitizer.
Any person found violating the order will be punished under the provisions of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 and other relevant laws, the SRC order stated.