Bhubaneswar: The plastic ban will be imposed in six cities of the state from October 2, coinciding with Gandhi Jayanti.
They are Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Berhampur, Rourkela, Sambalpur and Puri municipalities.
According to guidelines issued by the Forest and Environment Department,
- There will be restriction on sale, trade, manufacture, import, storing, carrying, transport and use or distribution of polythene.
- Vendors will be allowed to use polythene sheets not less than 50 micron thick.
- Owners of places of religious worship, institutions, hotels, restaurants and other places like marriage or party halls, offices and outdoor events are required to provide space for collection of plastic waste within their campus and returning the same to the manufacturers or suppliers.
- However, plastic and polythene packaging materials used in plant nurseries, agriculture, horticulture and healthcare sector, including medicines, blood transportation bags, syringe, sample or specimen bags, resealable bags and medical instruments, have been exempted from the ambit of ban.
- One cannot throw plastic items knowingly and unknowingly here and there.
- The municipal commissioners or executive officers have been directed to take adequate steps to implement the restrictions specified under this order and make suitable arrangements for collection and disposal or recycling of any type of plastics item within their jurisdiction.