Rain Spells Due To Low Pressure: Odisha Govt Reviews Situation; Puts Districts On Alert
Bhubaneswar: With the IMD predicting heavy to very heavy rain in many places of Odisha, the state government on Wednesday asked the Collectors of several districts to remain alert.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has said that heavy to very heavy rainfall is likely to lash several parts of the state under the influence of the low pressure formed over the Bay of Bengal.
In view of the weather forecast, Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) Satyabrata Sahu reviewed the situation with senior officials of several districts today and asked them to take the following steps:
• Districts under Red/ Orange/ Yellow warning to keep administrative machinery ready to face any eventuality.
• In case of overtopping of roads/ bridges due to heavy rain, restrict plying of vehicles by deploying police personnel and local officer, if situation arises.
• In case of damage of houses, polythene sheets shall be provided and further arrangements shall be put in place.
• In case of falling of trees, the local fire services shall be utilized for road clearance.
• In case of power disruption the local DISCOM authority shall be instructed to ensure immediate restoration of power supply.
• In case of very heavy rain, people of low-lying areas may be shifted to safer locations temporarily, if required.
• ULBs must keep the drains/ storm water channels de-congested, and adequate de-watering pumps may be deployed as per requirement.
• People may be advised to keep watch on the weather and take safe shelter during the thunderstorm activity to protect themselves from lightning and follow traffic advisories in urban areas.
• The situation of the district shall be informed to the SRC office from time to time.