Shocking: Broken Syringe Found In Child’s Body In Odisha

Angul: In a stark incident of medical negligence, a broken syringe was found inside the body of a three-year-old boy in Angul district.

According to reports, one Sitakanta Panda of Mohankhali village in Athamallik block had taken his ailing son, Swayamjit, to the community health centre (CHC) at Madhapur a few days ago.

After examining the boy, the doctor prescribed an injection and some medicines. Later, the nurse on duty, Poonam Hansda, administered the injection to the child. However, due to faulty administration, a portion of the syringe remained inside the child’s body. The child’s father, however, was unaware of incident because the nurse did not inform him.

On Thursday, Sitakanta informed the media that he had again taken his son to the CHC after he started suffering from intense pain. The doctor at the CHC told him that the pain was due to the effects of the antibiotic and advised him to apply ice on the area where the pain originated.

“But a few days later, I noticed a big lump under the scrotum of my son and took him to the CHC yesterday (Wednesday) and the doctor prescribed some medicines. In the night, I found that a part of the broken syringe has come out of the body and took my son to the CHC where the doctors pulled out the broken syringe from his body,” he added.

The CHC in-charge, Dr Santanu Patnaik, said the child’s condition was now stable and they have referred him to the district headquarters hospital for further treatment.

The errant nurse, however, could not be contacted for comment.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.