Unlock 5.0: New Guidelines For Reopening Schools & Other Educational Institutions
New Delhi: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Wednesday has circulated new guidelines for reopening schools and educational institutions outside the containment zones.
As per MHA guidelines reopening of schools and coaching institutions, State and Union Territory (UT) governments have been given the flexibility to take decisions after October 15 in a graded manner.
The decision will have to be taken after the consultation with the particular school/ institution management, based on their assessment of the situation.
Here are the MHA guidelines for reopening of schools, colleges and other educational institutions:
1. Online/ distance learning shall continue to be the preferred mode of teaching and shall be encouraged.
2. Where schools are conducting online classes, and some students prefer to attend online classes rather than physically attend school, they may be permitted to do so.
3. Students may attend schools/ institutions only with the written consent of parents.
4. Attendance must not be enforced and must depend entirely on parental consent.
5. States /UTs will prepare their own SOPs regarding health and safety precautions for reopening of schools/ institutions based on the SOP to be issued by the Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education, Government of India, keeping local requirements in view.
6. Schools, which are allowed to open, will have to mandatorily follow the SOP to be issued by Education Departments of States/ UTs.
7. The Department of Higher Education (DHE), Ministry of Education may take a decision on the timing of the opening of Colleges/ Higher Education Institutions, in consultation with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), based on the assessment of the situation. Online/ distance learning shall continue to be the preferred mode of teaching and shall be encouraged.
8. However, Higher Education Institutions only for research scholars (PhD) and post-graduate students in the science and technology streams requiring laboratory/ experimental works will be permitted to open from October 15, as under:
For Centrally Funded Higher Education Institutions, the Head of Institution will satisfy herself/ himself that there is a genuine requirement of research scholars (PhD) and post-graduate students in the science and technology streams for laboratory/experimental works.
For all other Higher Education Institutions e.g. State Universities, Private Universities, etc., they may open only for research scholars (PhD) and postgraduate students in the science and technology streams requiring laboratory/experimental works as per decision to be taken by the respective State/UT Governments.