Who Is Viktor Yanukovych, The Man Russia Is Likely To Back As Ukraine President
New Delhi: Reports have emerged that exiled former President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych is likely to be Russia’s choice to lead the country if its military is able to overthrow President Volodymyr Zelensky.
Who is Viktor Yanukovych?
* Twice elected Ukraine President, Yanukovych was born in Yenakiyevo in July 1950. His father was a metalworker and his mother a nurse.
* Began his career as a transport executive in the coal-mining industry in eastern Ukraine.
* Became the Governor of Donetsk region.
* The then President Leonid Kuchma appointed him PM in November 2002.
* Won the Presidential polls in 2004, but the election was declared fraudulent following massive protests in Kiev.
* Served second term as PM from 2006 to 2007.
* Swept 2010 Presidential elections.
* In 2013, Yanukovych, who was pro-Moscow, rejected a EU trade deal. Instead, he accepted a $15 billion bailout package from Russia.
* Protests broke out in Ukraine as demonstrators demanded that Ukraine sign the EU deal and Yanukovych step down. Yanukovych’s government was toppled in 2014. He fled to Russia.