New Delhi: Ten days after the National Testing Agency (NTA) cancelled the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, Undergraduate (NEET-UG 2026) following alleged paper leak and irregularities, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has admitted that the entrance exam for medical colleges was ‘compromised’.
Pradhan said the government decided to cancel the examination after finding out that some assessments had been ‘compromised’.
“We did not want even a single student to be deprived of their rightful seat because of the conspiracy of those involved in irregularities in the education system and the examination mafia,” Pradhan said at an event in Delhi on Friday.
“Twenty-two lakh children have gone through immense mental anguish. Understanding that anguish and taking responsibility, I am saying this today, we had to take some tough decisions,” the minister said while addressing the Jagran Bharat Education Conclave & Awards 2026.
Amid growing criticism against the Education ministry and calls for his resignation from the Opposition, Pradhan appealed to the community to have “faith in the system, PM Modi and NEP”.
“We are facing criticism and challenges, and I accept that. But it is our responsibility to set the system right. It is not our duty to shut our eyes and turn away from the problem,” he said.
The minister assured students, parents and other stakeholders that the NEET-UG re-exam, scheduled to be conducted on June 21, will be error-free.
“We are oath-bound to ensure June 21st exam is carried out without errors,”












