Chicken Bone Stuck In Foodpipe For 7 Days Removed At SUMUM-Bhubaneswar
Bhubaneswar: Surgeons at Sum Ultimate Medicare (SUMUM) here removed a chicken bone that was stuck in a person’s food pipe for seven days, hospital sources said on Thursday.
Consultant, Surgical Gastroenterology, Satyaprakash Ray Choudhury said it was a very unique and challenging procedure for the team as the bone was stuck in the patient’s oesophagus deep in the chest region and could not be retrieved by endoscopy.
“Foreign body impaction is a condition where a solid and hard object (in this case a chicken bone) gets stuck in the food pipe. These may be removed by endoscopy but when such attempts fail, it requires surgical intervention,” he said.
“Surgical intervention in a case of chicken bone was quite innovative yet challenging as the location of impaction was at the middle of the chest region below the trachea (windpipe),” he added.
Choudhury was assisted by Dr Sumit S. Mohanty while the intraoperative endoscopy was performed by consultant, Gastroenterology, Dr Ayaskanta Singh.
“An intraoperative endoscopy was done after the chicken bone was surgically removed from the patient’s food pipe. This was done to access the perforation that the chicken bone had caused in the oesophagus and to put an NG tube to facilitate faster-wound healing,” Singh said.
In this case, the nasal route was chosen for the procedure instead of the usual oral route, he added.
The spouse of the patient, who seemed relieved after the surgery, said her husband had accidentally swallowed the bone. “My husband was in severe pain and as we did not know where to go, a relative of ours recommended that we should approach SUMUM for his treatment,” she added.
By the time the patient reached SUMUM, the chicken bone had already caused perforation of the oesophagus, following which he was immediately planned for surgery, Choudhury said.
“The chicken bone was retrieved and the oesophagus of the patient was successfully repaired during the surgery. The patient was in good health after the procedure and his recovery was uneventful. He was ready to be discharged from the hospital,” he said.