Bhubaneswar: New Delhi has emerged as the most profitable route for airlines operating from the Biju Patnaik International airport to various destinations in the country.
1. As per the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) data for January this year, over 90,000 passengers flew between these two cities during the month.
2. Bengaluru came in next with 79,415 passengers travelling between these two destinations by air, thanks largely to the increased students’ movement as well as their families.
3. Kolkata may not be far away from here but according to DGCA 72,364 passengers opted flights to travel between these two places.
4. Hyderabad came in at the fourth place with close to 50,000 preferring air travel over other modes of transport.
5. India’s financial capital Mumbai came in at the firth place. In all, 39,896 passengers flew between Bhubaneswar and Mumbai in January.
6. As per DGCA, 20,576 passengers also travelled between Bhubaneswar and Chennai during the month.
All the above cities are connected by regular flights from Bhubaneswar, with the maximum number of daily flight operating to New Delhi from Bhubaneswar.
7. Given its distance and religious importance, a good number of people are taking flight to Guwahati from Bhubaneswar. IndiGo operates in this sector and 10,354 passengers travelled between these two places in January.
8. Air passenger traffic between Bhubaneswar and Kochi stood at 6447 and 3249 between the Odisha state capital and Vishakapatnam.
9. In all, the airport handled 3.76 lakh passengers, a growth of 11.7 per cent over the corresponding month last year.
10. While 34.73 lakh passengers in all were handled between April-December, the figure is expected to touch 40 lakh soon.