Mumbai: Mumbai civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in its affidavit filed in the Bombay High Court on Tuesday said that Bollywood actor Sonu Sood is a habitual offender. He carried out unauthorised construction work in a residential building in suburban Juhu despite demolition action initiated on two occasions in the past, it added.
Sood had filed a petition last week challenging a notice issued against him by the BMC in October last year and an order passed by a civil court in December 2020, dismissing his suit against the notice, Hindustan Times (HT) reported.
In its notice, the BMC had alleged that Sood carried out structural changes in the six-storey residential building Shakti Sagar and was converting it into a commercial hotel.
“The appellant is a habitual offender and wants to enjoy the commercial proceeds of the unauthorised work and therefore once again started reconstructing the demolished portion in order to make it operational as a hotel albeit illegally and without permission from the License department,” the civic body wad quoted as saying in the affidavit.
The BMC said initial action was initiated against the illegal construction in September 2018 but Sood continued the work. On November 12, 2018, demolition of the unauthorised work was carried out.
“Such is the audacity of the appellant that he once again started alterations and reconstructed the demolished portion. Therefore, the BMC once again took action of demolition on February 14, 2020,” the affidavit said. It said Sood had no documents to even indicate that he or his wife Sonali Sood are the owners of the said building.
The petition will be heard today by Justice Prithviraj Chavan.