Youth Who Attempted Self-Immolation Outside Ganjam SP Office Dies

Berhampur: The youth, who sustained 85 per cent burns after setting himself on fire in front of the Ganjam SP office at Chhatrapur, died on Sunday.

The deceased, identified as Badal Sahu from Borigam village under Humma panchayat in Ganjam district, succumbed to burn injuries while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar.

On Saturday afternoon, he arrived at the office with a petrol-filled container and poured it on himself before striking a match stick. Policemen present at the spot wrapped him in a bedsheet to douse the flames. He was then rushed to Chhatrapur sub-divisional hospital and later shifted to MKCG Medical College and Hospital here. As his condition became critical with 85 per cent burns, Badal was then referred to SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack.

Sources said his family was subjected to ostracisation in the village over some dispute and he had approached police three days ago but was allegedly humiliated. This might have forced him to take the extreme step.


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.