COVID Second Wave: Karnataka Goes Odisha’s Way, Announces 2-Week Lockdown
Bengaluru: The Narendra Modi government seems to be in no mood to declare a nationwide lockdown amid a disastrous second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A growing number of states, however, are choosing that option. Following the decisions already taken by Odisha – lockdown from May 5-19 — Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana, it was Karnataka’s turn on Friday to announce a total two-week shutdown of the state.
As in most other states, Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa said there will be a two-week lockdown from May 10 to 24 taking note of the alarming rise in COVID-19 cases and fatalities in the state. Karnataka had earlier chosen to impose curbs and restrictions in districts and cities with high corona caseloads.
“As COVID-19 cases are surging in the state, the corona curfew was not successful… A complete lockdown will be imposed from 10th May 6 am to 24th May 6 am. All hotels, pubs and bars will remain closed. Eateries, meat shops & vegetable shops can operate from 6-10 am,” the CM said.
Karnataka reported 48,781 fresh coronavirus infections and 592 deaths in the last 24 hours.
Apart from essential and medical services, only scheduled flights and trains will continue to operate during this period. Flight and train tickets will serve as passes for movement of persons by personal vehicles/taxis/cab aggregators/autorickshaws.