Bhubaneswar: Five more persons in Odisha succumbed to COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, taking the death toll to 159 on Wednesday.
The new deaths have been reported from Ganjam, Kandhamal, Balasore, Malkangiri and Puri.
1. 46-year-old man of Balasore district who was also suffering from diabetes and hypertension.
2. 55-year-old woman of Puri district.
3. 60-year-old woman of Ganjam district who was also suffering from diabetes and hypertension.
4. 50-year-old man of Kandhamal district who was also suffering from alcoholic liver disease, jaundice and hepatic encephalopathy.
5. 62-year-old woman of Malkangiri district who was also suffering from hypertension.
With these new deaths, the virus has so far claimed 86 lives in Ganjam, 19 in Khurda, 11 in Cuttack, nine in Gajapati, six each in Sundargarh and Rayagada, three each in Puri and Balasore, two each in Kandhamal, Kendrapada, Malkangiri, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur and Angul and one each in Bargarh, Jajpur, Jhasuguda and Nayagarh.
Anotherpositive person succumbed to the virus due to other health complications in Bhadrak, the Health Department said.
A total of 36 COVID-19 patients have died for reasons in the state.