Odisha Govt To Bear Train Fare Of Migrants; Adjust Cost Against Quarantine Incentive

0

Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government will bear the cost of transport of stranded migrant workers arriving by special trains if the host state refuses to do so. The cost will be adjusted against the quarantine incentive.

“It has been decided that, in case, if the sending State is not bearing the cost of the train tickets for the labourers, Government of Odisha will bear the cost of the train tickets of the labourers.  The train tickets cost will be adjusted against quarantine incentive of the returnees,” a government press release said.

The Indian government had earlier drawn flak for charging stranded migrants, travelling by special trains to their home states, considering their pitiable state having lost jobs amid the COVID-19 lockdown.

The Congress party had also criticised the government and offered to pay for their journey.

Following the outrage, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal had announced that government would pay 85 per cent of the ticket prices and the remaining 15 per cent would be borne by the state governments.

Four Shramik special trains from Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu are expected to reach Odisha on Monday and another from Gujarat on Tuesday.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.