Death Of RD Women’s University Student: Police Ask For 5-Day Remand Of Accused

Bhubaneswar: Close on the heels of the death of Jharaphula Nayak, a Plus III second-year student of the Rama Devi Women’s University, the police have prayed the court to take the accused on a five-day remand for further interrogation.

According to sources, the Airfield Police on Thursday had arrested the accused Rakesh Swain near the Hi-Tech Plaza in Sundarpada area in the evening and later handed him over to the Kuakhia Police. The Kuakhia Police on Friday took him to Jajpur town for medical examination at the district headquarters hospital after registering a case under section 302 and 201 of the IPC and the SC and ST Acts.

Police later produced him in the district judge court and prayed for a five-day remand. Reliable sources said that the District Judge Srikant Mishra will issue the directive on February 1.

Confession of the accused

After his arrest, Airfield police brought Swain to the police station where he told about his relationship with Jharaphula, a native of Tarundeipasi village under Jashipur police limits in Mayurbhanj district.

Swain said he was engaged in an underground pipe laying work in Tarundeipasi village. During his stay, he had a love affair with Jharaphula. Whenever she used to come to Bhubaneswar, she would meet him.

What happened on January 26?

Narrating the incident, Swain said that though Jharaphula had told his father that she will be reaching her house on January 26 night. As per the plan, her local guardian Chakradhara Behera of Jayadev Vihar had boarded her in a private bus Jhadeswari at about 11 am. But she got down at Vani Vihar Square and told his father over phone that she is having stomach pain and will leave Bhubaneswar at night.

He said after getting down, Jharaphula walked up to Rupali Square where he was waiting. Later, they went on his scooter to a Biryani centre in Pokhariput area and after having lunch, they went to the OYO Shiv Sai Guesthouse in Dharma Vihar area near Khandagiri where they spent the night.

The death of Jharaphula

Swain further said that Jharaphula had several bouts of vomiting late in the night due to stomach upset. However, in the morning, he found her lying unconscious with saliva oozing out of her mouth. At this, he immediately called his friend Shekhar and headed towards Cuttack to admit her in the SCB Medical College and Hospital. But as she died on the way, they took her to Jajpur where they dumped the body on the roadside near Mulapala Chhak.

Post-mortem report inconclusive

Reliable sources said that though the doctors, who have conducted the post-mortem, are yet to confirm the exact cause of the death. They have found nail marks on the body. On the basis of the report, police have decided to conduct the DNA test of the nail and hair of the accused.

Viscera sent to forensic lab

Police in the meanwhile have sent the viscera and some seized articles found from the room of the guesthouse to the Odisha State Forensic Laboratory (OSFL) for the test.

Hunt on for Swain’s friend

A senior police officer said that the police are now on the hunt for the friend of the accused. “Police will be able to unfold the mystery after receiving the post-mortem and forensic reports and the statement of the absconding youth,” the officer said.

Also Read: RD Women University Student’s Death: Two Accused Identified, Claim Cops

Also Read: RD Women’s University Student’s Death: SCW Team In Odisha’s Jajpur

Also Read:
RD Women’s University Student’s Death: Father Accuses Khurda Youth Of Murdering His Daughter

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.