Odisha Elephant Deaths: Killer Bacteria Can Infect Humans Too, Warns Expert
Bhawanipatna: With six elephants succumbing to haemorrhagic septicaemia after being reportedly infected by Pasteurella Multocida bacteria in Kalahandi’s Karlapat Wildlife Sanctuary, the Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) has warned that humans are also susceptible to the killer bacteria.
The CDMO, Dr Pratap Kumar Behera, said humans can contract haemorrhagic septicaemia if they come in contact with infected animals or water used by them.
“In view of the recent death of six elephants at Karlapat Wildlife Sanctuary reportedly due to the bacterial disease, the district health department has taken up surveillance work in villages located within the protected area, as a precautionary measure,” Behera told the media on Monday.
He said four health teams have been deployed in the sanctuary area. Besides health check-up, the team is conducting hygiene awareness among the people, The New Indian Express reported.
“Samples of drinking water sources have been collected. Those will be sent to labs for tests to ascertain whether there is infection in the water,” the CDMO said.
Meanwhile, vaccination of domestic cattle by the district veterinary department is underway in the villages inside the sanctuary.
Chief District Veterinary Officer Dr Chaitanya Sethi said a team is camping in the area. So far, there have been no reports of any cattle suffering or dying due to haemorrhagic septicaemia in Karlapat sanctuary area, he added.